Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a charter school?
Answer: A charter school is a public school that is granted greater flexibility in its operations (curriculum, hiring, etc.) in return for greater accountability for performance. Charter schools were established to give families academic choices for their children and provide a learning environment to improve student achievement. Charter schools are funded by the state, just like other public schools.
Does Albuquerque Collegiate charge tuition?
Answer: No! As a public charter school, Albuquerque Collegiate is tuition-free. There are also no fees to apply. We believe that high-quality education is a right that every child deserves. In addition, we provide FREE breakfast and lunch, uniforms, school supplies, and after school care for all students.
Is it too late to enroll my student? What's the transfer process if I'm coming from another school?
Answer: No, students are welcome to enroll all year, as long as we have seats available in their grade.
The transfer process is easy, and our team is happy to help! Notify our team that you want to enroll at Abq Collegiate, complete the necessary registration forms, and we will notify your child’s previous school about the transfer. We’ll even take care of getting their vital records and forms.
Does Albuquerque Collegiate have an after school program?
Answer: Yes! Albuquerque Collegiate provides free after-school programming for all scholars. After school programing is provided everyday until 6pm.
What is the enrollment process?
We are still accepting transfer applications for kindergarten- 5th grade for the 2023-2024 school year, with very limited seats available.
See below for the steps to apply for the 2024-2025 school year for new students. (Returning students will complete a separate process.)
1) Complete application for enrollment by April 11, 2024 at 5pm.
2) If we have more applications than seats available, we will hold an enrollment lottery on April 12, 2024.
3) If your child is one of the students chosen for an available seat for their grade in the lottery, you will complete registration paperwork and enroll your child for the upcoming 2024-2025 school year.
4) If your child is not one of the selected students for an available seat in their grade, s/he will be given a number and placement on the grade’s waitlist. We will contact you as soon as a spot becomes available for your child.
5) Once registration paperwork is complete, your child will be officially registered at Albuquerque Collegiate for the 2024-2025 school year. We will have Meet & Greet events during the spring and summer for all registered families.
30 seats will be available for kindergarten, with very limited seats available for 1st-5th grades. We will also make 20 seats available for our innagural 6th grade class. Enroll now by submitting an application online HERE or calling the front office, 505-539-5283.
What is the enrollment lottery?
Answer: Albuquerque Collegiate has 30 seats available for kindergarten and a very limited number of seats for 1st-5th grades, and ~20 seats available for our innagural 6th grade class for the 2024-2025 school year. If we have more applicants than seats available, students will be selected randomly for each spot via a public lottery. If the number of applicants does not exceed the number of seats available, all applicants will be offered a seat, and any remaining seats will be available on a first-come first-serve basis. Students who are already enrolled for a grade level are automatically entered for the next school year. There is no need to re-apply each year. Students who have a sibling attending Albuquerque Collegiate and children of staff members will have a lottery preference. These are the only lottery preferences available in the state of New Mexico.