Frequently Asked Questions
What is a charter school?
Answer: A charter school is a public school that is granted greater flexibility in its operations (curriculum, hiring, etc.) in return for greater accountability for performance. Charter schools were established to give families academic choices for their children and provide a learning environment to improve student achievement. Charter schools are funded by the state, just like other public schools.
Does Albuquerque Collegiate charge tuition?
Answer: No! As a public charter school, Albuquerque Collegiate is tuition-free. There are also no fees to apply. We believe that high-quality education is a right that every child deserves. In addition, we provide FREE breakfast and lunch, uniforms, school supplies, and after school care for all students.
Is it too late to enroll my student? What's the transfer process if I'm coming from another school?
Answer: No, students are welcome to enroll all year, as long as we have seats available in their grade.
The transfer process is easy, and our team is happy to help! Notify our team that you want to enroll at Abq Collegiate, complete the necessary registration forms, and we will notify your child’s previous school about the transfer. We’ll even take care of getting their vital records and forms.
Does Albuquerque Collegiate have an after school program?
Answer: Yes! We have partnered with the Westside Community Center for After School care. Students participating in the WSCC after school program will be picked up at the Abq Collegiate campus at the end of the school day and transported to the Westide Community Center. After-school programming runs until 6:00pm daily. For more information about after school care, call the Westside Community Center (505) 314-0176 or visit the Westside Community Center website.
Registration Form (must be turned into Westside Community Center)
What is the enrollment process?
We are now accepting applications for kindergarten- 4th grade for the 2021-2022 school year. See below for the steps to enroll for the 2021-2022 school year for new students. (Returning students will complete a separate process.)
1) Complete application for enrollment by April 15, 2021 at 5pm.
2) If we have more applications than seats available, we will hold an enrollment lottery on April 16, 2021.
3) If your child is one of the students chosen for an available seat for their grade in the lottery, you will complete registration paperwork and enroll your child for the upcoming 2021-2022 school year.
4) If your child is not one of the selected students for an available seat in their grade, s/he will be given a number and placement on the grade’s waitlist. We will contact you as soon as a spot becomes available for your child.
5) Once registration paperwork is complete, your child will be officially registered at Albuquerque Collegiate for the 2021-2022 school year. We will have Meet & Greet events during the spring and summer for all registered families.
60 seats will be available for kindergarten, with very limited seats available for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th grades. Enroll now by submitting an application online HERE or calling the front office, 505-539-5283.
What is the enrollment lottery?
Answer: Albuquerque Collegiate has 60 seats available for kindergarten and a very limited number of seats for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th grades for the 2021-2022 school year. If we have more applicants than seats available, students will be selected randomly for each spot via a public lottery. If the number of applicants does not exceed the number of seats available, all applicants will be offered a seat, and any remaining seats will be available on a first-come first-serve basis. Students who are already enrolled for a grade level are automatically entered for the next school year. There is no need to re-apply each year. Students who have a sibling attending Albuquerque Collegiate will have a lottery preference. This is the only lottery preference available in the state of New Mexico.